On Saturday, we had Sports Day at school. We had been practicing for it all week. Basically, for a whole school day we are outside on the field and the students play various sports and compete against each other. During the first half, I participated in the "deka pantsu" race where you and a student try on gigantic pants and run to the finish line together. Then I helped out with the laundry basket event where I had a laundry basket on my back and a mod of 1st years threw balls at me to try and get them into the basket. I was also put on the white team for the tug of war and my side won! It was pretty rough on the hands pulling on a rope. I also participated in the ball toss (try to get a ball into a small basket that is raised high in the air).
I participated in the teachers rely against the 1st years. We were second the entire race until the end, and we got second to last. At least we weren't last! After we had lunch and the middle school students are parents came from Nebraska the day before. They would also compete with us.
(The turf grass sticks to your shoes so everyone looks like they have grass shoes on)
We played the ball toss game again and we jump roped in a figure 8 like manner. It was really hard to get the timing of the jump rope down at first but eventually we got it. Sadly, the teacher's team got last place. Lastly, we participated in an obstacle race which required that we rode on little tiny bicycles, do hurdles, crawl under a net, and hop in a potato sack in the finish. The whole time I was worried about riding the bike since it is too small for my legs to fit but actually the potato sack part was the hardest. The middle schoolers from Nebraska seemed like they were having a great time and so were we. We watched various other events such and it was quite entertaining. There is one game where the students work as a 4 person group with one on top trying to pull off peoples' hats. Overall, by the end of the day in the heat and sun, we were beat!
(Wish I could show more pictures but they all have students in them!)
On Tuesday, we have another Typhoon come through. It came early in the morning so we had school start late. The middle school students from Nebraska and the parents came to school for a packed day of ceremonies, classes for the Japanese students to practice interviewing the U.S. students, a calligraphy class, a Japanese class, lunch mingling with Japanese teachers, and saying goodbyes to their home stay families. After school, we headed over with them to tour Sky Tree (very high tower)
(Welcome Ceremony)
(Because the typhoon cleared out the sky, we could see Mt. Fuji from the calligraphy room)
(Lunchtime mingling)
I had been to Sky Tree once before 2 years ago. I was in charge of watching and guiding 4 middle school students in the giant mall under Sky Tree even though I did not know the area super well. I had a fun time chatting with the kids about what they noticed about Japan and I loved to hear what kind of questions they had. It is really great they could have this kind of positive experience vising another country from this age!
I participated in the teachers rely against the 1st years. We were second the entire race until the end, and we got second to last. At least we weren't last! After we had lunch and the middle school students are parents came from Nebraska the day before. They would also compete with us.
(The turf grass sticks to your shoes so everyone looks like they have grass shoes on)
We played the ball toss game again and we jump roped in a figure 8 like manner. It was really hard to get the timing of the jump rope down at first but eventually we got it. Sadly, the teacher's team got last place. Lastly, we participated in an obstacle race which required that we rode on little tiny bicycles, do hurdles, crawl under a net, and hop in a potato sack in the finish. The whole time I was worried about riding the bike since it is too small for my legs to fit but actually the potato sack part was the hardest. The middle schoolers from Nebraska seemed like they were having a great time and so were we. We watched various other events such and it was quite entertaining. There is one game where the students work as a 4 person group with one on top trying to pull off peoples' hats. Overall, by the end of the day in the heat and sun, we were beat!
(Wish I could show more pictures but they all have students in them!)
On Tuesday, we have another Typhoon come through. It came early in the morning so we had school start late. The middle school students from Nebraska and the parents came to school for a packed day of ceremonies, classes for the Japanese students to practice interviewing the U.S. students, a calligraphy class, a Japanese class, lunch mingling with Japanese teachers, and saying goodbyes to their home stay families. After school, we headed over with them to tour Sky Tree (very high tower)
(Welcome Ceremony)
(Because the typhoon cleared out the sky, we could see Mt. Fuji from the calligraphy room)
(Lunchtime mingling)
I had been to Sky Tree once before 2 years ago. I was in charge of watching and guiding 4 middle school students in the giant mall under Sky Tree even though I did not know the area super well. I had a fun time chatting with the kids about what they noticed about Japan and I loved to hear what kind of questions they had. It is really great they could have this kind of positive experience vising another country from this age!
No comments:
Post a Comment